Tietoja minusta

Oma kuva
Enjoy this moment, share quilttales with me

perjantai 15. marraskuuta 2013

CWD: Fasting and Knitting

November 15, 1861. 16 years old Sarah Lois Wadley wrote in her diary:

This is the fast day appointed by our President to pray for a continuance of those blessings which God has thus far bestowed upon us. - I have not eaten any meat or butter, however, having been reading and knitting socks all day. - (quote from The Civil War Diary Quilt written by R. Youngs)

CWD block #118 - Fasting and Knitting

The block looked like a medium-difficult block to me. First I thought that I foundation paper piece it... but nevertheless there is many pieces (8 mini blocks) to sew together. I took "a risk" and decided to test my measuring skills;o)

I cut the fabrics for mini blocks like this:

Cream A: cut 8 - 1 5/8" x 1 5/8" squares
Green & Purple B: cut 4 - 2" x 2" squares
* cut them diagonally once. You have now 8 green and 8 purple B triangles.
Green & Purple C: cut 4 - 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" squares
* cut them diagonally once. You have now 8 green and 8 purple C triangles.


After I had sewn them together I had a little bit... but just a bit.. larger rectangle than is needed for the mini blocks... so  I trimmed the mini block like this:

The finished Fasting and Knitting -block is quite ok! And it's just 6 1/2" x 6 1/2"... you can guess I'm a happy lady;o)

And I want to wish you a HAPPY WEEKEND!!!

PS. I cheated on you a little bit, because I sewed this block already on Wednesday. Today, on Friday November 15, I'm on the Finland's largest craft fair. I left there early in the morning... come home very late at the evening. I'll go there by bus (about 8 hours sitting in the bus... blaah)... it's very likely that I'll knit socks for the entire journey;o)

3 kommenttia:

Cattinka kirjoitti...

You are good at these tricky blocks, you can even figure out how to cut the pieces. Hope you had a good time at the craft fair, I bet your socks got finished on the bus!
KATRIN W.

Elin kirjoitti...

Dear friend! Tonight I have started Feeding the Rebels! I will try to follow you. Inspiration! We have a real heavy storm going on outside...

Tiinatei kirjoitti...

Sinulla on kyllä tarkat mittaustaidot, en olisi itse selvinnyt noiden 5/8 tuumien kanssa! Ei taidettu törmätä messuilla :(