- though having approached Capt. Williams as aid for a heroine of Jericho, he could not treat me as the order read - it was issued from old Hurlub, I was to be arrested and carried to Alton on first Boat that passed - for carrying letters through the lines, and smuggling, and aiding the Rebellion in every way in my power - he sent me word I must not think of attending Jennie Eave's wedding, or go out of doors at all, he would be compelled to arrest me if it came to him Officially, but my Father was a Royal Arch Mason, and I a Mason, he would take no steps, if I would be quiet. (quote from Civil War Diary Quilt by R. Youngs)
It was all nothing but pleasures to sew this 6" finished block... I assume that you can guess why? ... because it's a double star block!!! I just LOVE to sew them;o).... although the square-on-point unit in the center tried to make a mischief to my happiness... I don't like them, and lately I have sewn them more than one!!! But I'll tell you more of them later this week!
Once again I wrote down some dimensions:
For the outer star I needed...
* one dark green 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" square (F)
* four light green 2 3/8" x 2 3/8" squares (G)
* four dark green 2" x 2" squares (sorry, they are not shown here)
(F&G) are the pieces, which we need to make the 4- at-once flying geese units.
For the inner star I needed...
* one white 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" square (A)
* two dark green 1 5/8" x 1 5/8" squares, which I cut in half diagonally once to make 4 triangles (B)
(A&B) are the pieces, which we need to make a square-on-point unit.
* four dark green 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" squares for the corners (C)
* one dark green 2 3/4" x 2 3/4" square, which I cut in half diagonally twice to make 4 triangles (D)
* four light green 1 5/8" x 1 5/8" squares, which I cut in half diagonally once to make 8 triangles (E)
(D&E) are the pieces, which we need to make four flying geese units.
The inner star size is 3 1/2" x 3 1/2", the finished block size is 6" x 6" and the seam allowances are 1/4".
In the future... what is very pleasing...
... there is also a finished 3" sawtooth star in a next block! Super!
... so I'll need same dimensions for the star as today;o)
And the other pleasing thing is...
... that after Confederate Flag, I could sew these six blocks together!!!!
By the way I have now sewn 90 CWD blocks... so there is - only - 31 left ;-D
Isabella's journal entries will continue on May 29... before that we'll see four other entries. Hopefully!
I'm glad that you stayed a while with me and with the CWD blocks!!!!